D game development: a call to action

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Mon Aug 5 11:41:12 PDT 2013

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 20:18:29 +0200, Jonathan A Dunlap wrote::

> A) No information about its current status: this is scary if its repo
> hasn't been updated in months.
> B) Usually are complex to get working in a new project (manually
> building or searching for undocumented dependency DLLs)
> C) Lack practical references and tutorials for "real would usage"
> e.g. "how to create an OpenGL window" or "how to render a triangle"
> versus something like "how to load from disk an image texture onto a
> quad and move it around using keyboard events"
>
> SFML bindings are also in https://github.com/aldacron/Derelict3 but I
> couldn't find a scrap of information on how to use it, how to compile
> correctly, or example usage. It's unclear if the library is even usable
> in its current state.
>
> Please don't take this as blind criticism, but rather a plea to action
> for the community to provide better library documentation support for:
> current lib status, getting started adding it, and a general use
> tutorial/example. If we start doing this, it'll make a big impact for
> other game developers who are new to Dlang to adopt the language. Thanks
> for listening!

A) I recommend using Derelict3--it's kept up to date, looking at the
commit log shows work in the last 24 hours to update the bindings. It's
also well designed and works well.
B) If using Derelict3, you simply need to: build Derelict3 (it's as
simple as running build/build.d) and have recent builds of whatever
libraries you're using through it.  How difficult the shared libraries
dependencies are is project by project and not really a D-specific issue.
C) Derelict3 is basically just bindings over the C functions--you should
use any and all documentation, references, and tutorials against the C
libraries.  E.g. any C language tutorials on SFML, OpenGL, etc. are
trivially translatable once you understand how to load the Derelict
modules (again, look at the Derelict README).