D game development: a call to action

Jonathan A Dunlap jdunlap at outlook.com
Mon Aug 5 11:59:32 PDT 2013

> C) Derelict3 is basically just bindings over the C
> functions--you should
> use any and all documentation, references, and tutorials
> against the C
> libraries.

Thanks Justin for the response. Derelict3 does seem to be the
library with the most activity by far. However, it's simply not
good enough to just say that since these are just bindings that
the documentation/examples in the host language is adequate. This
is true under the assumption that: the developer already is
comfortable in the D language to know the usage difference, are
familiar with the lib API to know when these differences apply,
or even know to translate dependent idioms outside the actual
library usage (like loading an image from disk, to apply to a
texture, may be a separate but related learned task to the
library). If we are looking for a broader adoption of D, we
should be in the mindset of someone who may not even have a
background in computer science here.