Version of implementation for docs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Aug 11 00:03:55 PDT 2013

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 06:30:57 JS wrote:
> Can we get the version of implementation/addition of a feature in
> the docs. e.g., if X feature/method/library is added into dmd
> version v, then the docs should display that feature.
>
> For example, when I go to http://dlang.org/phobos/object.html I
> see tsize. When I try to use it on my class I dmd says it doesn't
> exist. I'm using 2.063. If I new when tsize was implemented I
> would know if it is something I am doing wrong or if I'm just
> using a version where it isn't implemented.
>
> const pure nothrow @property @safe size_t tsize();       (v 2.063)
>
> or whatever.
>
> P.S. note I added a fake version to it to demonstrate what the
> docs could look like... I know for some this post will be very
> difficult to understand... some will ask for a use case, some
> will call me a troll... Others will say it is not useful, and
> some will say it is too difficult to implement or will be too
> hard to maintain.

If you want the docs that go with your version of the compiler, then look at
the ones that come with it (they are provided in the zip file - I don't know if
they get installed with the installers though). We have enough trouble keeping
the documentation up-to-date and accurate without having to worry about
versioning. And for the most part, if you have issues with it due to using an
older version of the compiler, the advice is going to be to upgrade to the
latest compiler.

- Jonathan M Davis