Something up with the forums?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 11 01:19:33 PDT 2013

On 11 August 2013 02:37, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 11, 2013 02:25:33 Iain Buclaw wrote:

>> > gmail never sends you your own responses. Google is "helpful" and filters
>> > out the messages that you send to a mailing list when they get sent back
>> > to you. That's actually the #1 reason why I stopped using gmail. So, if
>> > you're using gmail, that could add to the confusion.
>>
>> You know, I've never had that problem... and it's not *me* who's
>> getting the confusion.
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?topic=1564
>
> If you never noticed it, I'd guess that you use gmail's web interface rather
> than a local client, as gmail will show your sent messages in the threading
> that it does. If you're using a local client, that obviously doesn't happen,
> since sent messages don't normally get put in your inbox. So, as someone who
> uses a local mail client pretty much exclusively, what gmail was doing was
> really annoying, particularly since it was constantly breaking up threads that
> I replied in. But either you have a very different workflow (like using the web
> interface), or your e-mail client is much smarter than mine, or you just
> didn't notice for some reason.
>
> But if gmail works for you, then great. This issue was a deal breaker for me.
> It took it from gmail being annoying in some of its quirks and how badly it
> interacted with local clients to being unacceptably broken.

I guess one thing I make heavy use of filters which use tagging and
archiving to make a pseudo folder structure. Essentially, all mail
that matches my (fairly large and growing) filter list is archived and
labelled.  So all messages that get sent from this ML - as well as my
own postings, *always* skips the inbox and are archived as a de facto,
but then are labelled as "D Mailing List".  It is also possible for
threads to gain extra labels if certain keywords are used in them over
time... :o)

Not sure if such a set-up would work with the local client, but yes, I
use the web interface.

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';