Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 15:23:53 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 15:42:24 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 01:22:34 -0700
> Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/WorldComp2012/PDP3426.pdf
>
> Holy crap those two-column PDFs are hard to read! Why in the
> world does
> academia keep doing that anyway? (Genuine question, not
> rhetoric)

It's convenient for embedding figures without using up excessive
space or resorting to *shivers* word wrapping.

Even without taking that in to account, I've always had a soft
spot for 2 column layout, when done right. Most of the physics
papers I read use it and I never have any problems. It's only
really bad if they make the columns too narrow compared to the
font width and you get too few words per line.