Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Mon Aug 12 07:02:50 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 15:49:25 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 15:42:24 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 01:22:34 -0700
>> Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/WorldComp2012/PDP3426.pdf
>>
>> Holy crap those two-column PDFs are hard to read! Why in the
>> world does
>> academia keep doing that anyway? (Genuine question, not
>> rhetoric)
>>
>> But the fact that article even exists is really freaking
>> awesome. :)
>
> My guess is simply because it takes more space, making a 4 page
> article look like a 7 page ;)

Actually I think the opposite is true. Many CS conferences for
example have page limits and as multi-column allows you to use a
smaller font, and still have a readable document, the
multi-column layout lets you submit a longer paper.

In my experience with conference paper submission (which for me
usually had a 6 or 8 page limit) was getting the thing short
enough to submit.

Craig