Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Tue Aug 13 14:05:20 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 at 20:33:48 UTC, Joakim wrote:
clip

> Yes, such networked GUIs assume low latency, just as most of
> the web assumes a working internet connection. ;) This is not a
> solution for offline GUIs, and so wouldn't work as a
> general-purpose GUI toolkit.  I wonder if offline is a niche
> worth serving these days however.

clip

A couple of comments on the point above.

1. Could it not work for offine GUIs, assuming the server and
client
were on the same machine, in which case one would hope the
latency is
low.  For example X11 works locally without a network connection.

2. Based on your "I wonder if offline is a niche ...." I get the
impression you live in a part of the world that has more reliable
internet access than where I am from :o)