Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Aug 13 14:31:40 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 at 21:05:21 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
wrote:
> 1. Could it not work for offine GUIs, assuming the server and
> client
> were on the same machine, in which case one would hope the
> latency is
> low.  For example X11 works locally without a network
> connection.
Yes, you could put the server on the user's desktop, then drive
the GUI runtime locally.  But this could raise a host of issues
with portability and capability, which you see with webapps that
try this offline model today.  You'd need to make sure that the
Apache server and your oddball-cool Erlang webapp can run on the
user's Windows desktop, that they won't fry his Celeron with all
the stuff you can do easily on your Xeon server.

But yeah, if you kept the server-side lean and portable, you
could go offline this way, and I imagined that something like
this would be the solution for offline use eventually.

> 2. Based on your "I wonder if offline is a niche ...." I get the
> impression you live in a part of the world that has more
> reliable
> internet access than where I am from :o)
Actually no, which is why I have multiple redundant internet
connections at my place, only one of which is connected right
now. ;) But offline apps are increasingly fading away: most
people spend most of their time these days using apps that are
constantly connected to the internet, whether email or webapps.

I'm offering an idea for a specialized solution that optimizes
that common connected use case, rather than a general solution
that is more work for the programmer, forcing him to write more
low-level networking and GUI synchronization code on his own.
That's the tack the web takes, I'm following in that vein with a
different approach.  I'm not trying to say offline apps aren't an
important use case; I'm just saying there can be other GUI
toolkits to handle mostly-offline apps for now.