Experiments with emscripten and D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Aug 17 09:34:15 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 05:30:28PM +0200, Rob T wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 14:42:19 UTC, Gambler wrote:
> >Every time I do, I get the urge to abandon programming and change
> >my occupation.
>
> My thoughts too, The Internet is ripe for another revolution, but
> the old ways need to be abandoned rather than continually propped up
> with duct tape and thread. You can barely create simple applications
> using current html+js tools, and Flash and so forth consume vast
> amounts of memory and cpu power which can  stress out even a full
> blown desktop computer if you are a heavy browser user like I am,
> yet most "personal computers" are now low powered mobile devices
> which makes the situation really bad.
>
> IMO the current direction leads to a dead end.
>
> The big boys like Google, Mozilla and MS seem more interested in
> fighting each other over world domination rather than come up with
> viable alternatives that can lead the way out of this mess.
[...]

It's just like Nick Sabalausky always likes to rant about. In 1975, we
had slow 8-bit computers with 8kHz CPUs and 64kB of RAM, and our
applications ran rather slowly.  Then processor speed increased
exponentially, RAM increased exponentially, and today we have 64-bit
computers with 4GHz CPUs (and multicore!) and who knows how many GBs of
RAM, and our (web) applications run at about the same speed as in 1975.
Clearly, *something* is very, very wrong with this picture.

The fact that anyone still uses AOL shows that even the presence of options doesn't stop some people from picking the pessimal one. - Mike Ellis