Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sun Aug 18 03:35:30 PDT 2013

On 08/18/2013 01:59 AM, John Joyus wrote:
> On 08/11/2013 04:22 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/WorldComp2012/PDP3426.pdf
>
> This article claims the "Performance [of D] is equivalent to C".
>
> Is that true? I mean even if D reaches 90% of C's performance, I still
> consider it great because of its productive features, but are there any
> benchmarks done?

That claim is highly dubious. D's garbage collector is a known
performance bottleneck. I read the paper and didn't see any benchmarks.
It was mostly about how they interfaced with a C library. Yes, in
limited circumstances if you write D like you would write C, you can get
comparative performance.

However, the point of D is to allow high-level coding and to make use of
garbage collector by default, so that's where the interesting
comparisons are to be made.