Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Aug 18 10:24:12 PDT 2013

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:35:30 -0400
Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:

> On 08/18/2013 01:59 AM, John Joyus wrote:
> > On 08/11/2013 04:22 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/WorldComp2012/PDP3426.pdf
> >
> > This article claims the "Performance [of D] is equivalent to C".
> >
> > Is that true? I mean even if D reaches 90% of C's performance, I
> > still consider it great because of its productive features, but are
> > there any benchmarks done?
>
> That claim is highly dubious. D's garbage collector is a known
> performance bottleneck.

Well, but aside from that one thing, people need to keep in mind that D
is not dynamic/interpreted/VMed, and does have full low-level
capabilities. Those are the things that make C fast, and D shares them.
Plus modern C codegen also makes things fast, but D generally uses C
backends, so again D shares that, too.