OT; Will MS kill .NET ?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 20 00:45:26 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 02:20:38 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> I thought that, if anything, Microsoft was regretting going too
> high-level.
>
> There is a video from Channel 9 with Herb Sutter (perhaps [1],
> not sure) where I recall him saying that the .Net mania had
> died out and Microsoft developers were again focusing on C++.
>
> [1]
> http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/C-and-Beyond-2011-Herb-Sutter-Why-C

With the failure that Longhorn and Vista were, the .NET political
camp inside Microsoft lost power to the native guys.

I bet this is what was behind the WinRT decision, because the
original .NET design documents for .NET were actually based in
COM as well.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsyme/archive/2012/07/05/more-c-net-generics-history-the-msr-white-paper-from-mid-1999.aspx

Even if Microsoft decides to go fully native, then just have to
change the C#/VB.NET/F# compilers to generate fully native
binaries instead of MSIL.

.NET is just a language runtime. Developers should not confuse
languages with implementations.

--
Paulo