Possible solution to template bloat problem?

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 20:01:36 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 01:46:37 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 22:58:24 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 22:49:40 UTC, Ramon wrote:
>>> Happily I'm stupid and completely missed the condescending
>>> tone of an evident genius. Instead I'll just be grateful that
>>> it pleased one of the D masters to drop some statement down
>>> at me at all.

>>> "destroying"??? Which part of "not to bash it" and of "D
>>> means a lot to me" and of "D is, no doubts, an excellent and
>>> modern incarnation of C/C++. As
>>> far as I'm concerned D is *the* best C/C++ incarnation ever,
>>> hands down." was too complicated to understand for your
>>> genius brain?
>>
>> I knew this would happen at some point:
>> Andrei uses "destroy" as a positive term to denote a
>> well-reasoned powerful argument/response.
>>
>> Chill :)
>
> Uhum.
>
> Well, where I live "to destroy" has a pretty clear and very
> negative meaning.
> I took that post (of Mr. Alexandrescu) as very rude and
> condescending and I do not intend to change my communication
> habits so as to understand "to destroy" as a positive statement
> or even a compliment. While I'm certainly not in a position to
> look down on J. Ichbiah, N. Wirth, and B. Meyer, I have
> certainly not spent the last 25+ years without understanding a
> thing or two about my profession, no matter what Mr.
> Alexandrescu seems to think.
>
> No matter what Mr. Alexandrescu thinks or likes/dislikes or how
> he behaves I recognize (and praise) D as a very major
> improvement on C/C++ and as a very attractive language (by no
> means only for system programming).
> Furthermore I recognize and respect Mr. Alexandrescu's profound
> knowledge of D and the (assumed and highly probable) value of
> his book and thank him for his work.
>
> Maybe I'm simply profitting from my being a lowly retarded
> creature who, as some kind of a generous compensation by
> nature, is capable to recognize the knowledge and work of
> others irrespective of their being friendly or rightout rude
> and condescending.
>
> As for Mr. Alexandrescu's book, I'm glad to report that I will
> no longer need to molest him with my lowly requests. I have
> found a way to buy an epub version (through InformIt/Pearson).
> "D The programming language" has been bought and already
> downloaded and I'm looking forward to learn quite a lot about D
> from it.
>
> Regards - R.

I'm sorry you felt offended by that, but I can assure you, he
didn't mean anything negative by it. I probably won't convince
you, but here are a few other times the word "destroy" has been
used in a similar manner (the first is by Andre):

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kooe7p$255m$1@digitalmars.com
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/iauldfsuxzifzofzmaxq@forum.dlang.org
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/rhwopozmtodmazcyiazj@forum.dlang.org
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/jlbsreudrapysiaetyrp@forum.dlang.org

I agree though, it isn't the best term, especially for someone
who isn't accustomed to this community, but it's part of the
culture.

Cheers!