Allocators

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 07:31:54 PDT 2013

On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 11:27:06 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> I recall from discussion a while back that various custom
> allocators are in the works as alternatives to the GC.
>
> Can anyone advise on their status and give a rough idea of what
> will be offered?

It seems you're far from being the only interested party!

Has anyone tried porting an existing allocator library from C++?
Looking over the dconf proceedings, HeapLayers was mentioned as
an inspiration for a future D allocators library; would a port
make sense?

I remember seeing a D2 region allocator, but it appeared to be
abandonware.

Assuming you have a really great allocator library, how would
that work with the existing GC requiring features of D? For
example, could you have all of your slicing, classes, exceptions,
etc. handled by a region allocator?

-- Brian