Allocators

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Aug 23 09:39:45 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 03:48:59PM +0200, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 11:30:01 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> >
> >I see Andrei running away !
>
> So far, this is the best description of current situation regarding
> allocators.

lol... seriously though, when *are* we going to get working allocators?
I mean, right now we don't even have a concrete proposal that we can
destroy. And we've been talking about allocators for how many years now?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 04:31:54PM +0200, Brian Rogoff wrote:
[...]
> Has anyone tried porting an existing allocator library from C++?
> Looking over the dconf proceedings, HeapLayers was mentioned as an
> inspiration for a future D allocators library; would a port make
> sense?

IIRC, we didn't want to follow C++'s implementation, which in practice
is troublesome to use and usually avoided. But what should replace it,
isn't all that clear.

> I remember seeing a D2 region allocator, but it appeared to be
> abandonware.
>
> Assuming you have a really great allocator library, how would that
> work with the existing GC requiring features of D? For example,
> could you have all of your slicing, classes, exceptions, etc.
> handled by a region allocator?
[...]

I suspect the elusive answers to these questions are what's keeping
Andrei on the run. ;-)

Frank disagreement binds closer than feigned agreement.