Allocators

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 13:28:39 PDT 2013

23-Aug-2013 18:31, Brian Rogoff пишет:
> On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 11:27:06 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> I recall from discussion a while back that various custom allocators
>> are in the works as alternatives to the GC.
>>
>> Can anyone advise on their status and give a rough idea of what will
>> be offered?
>
> It seems you're far from being the only interested party!
>
> Has anyone tried porting an existing allocator library from C++? Looking
> over the dconf proceedings, HeapLayers was mentioned as an inspiration
> for a future D allocators library; would a port make sense?
>
> I remember seeing a D2 region allocator, but it appeared to be abandonware.

It works. It has no updates for some time, but there isn't anything
wrong with it. It just failed to establish the new allocator scheme so
it's just a nice piece of 3rd party library.

> Assuming you have a really great allocator library, how would that work
> with the existing GC requiring features of D? For example, could you
> have all of your slicing, classes, exceptions, etc. handled by a region
> allocator?

Hardly (if we are not to forget about @safe), but I assume a
thread-local GC would solve a lot of problems.

--
Dmitry Olshansky