D-thrift package detects regressions since 2.061, where is the regression suite located?

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Fri Aug 23 16:18:14 PDT 2013

On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 20:13:21 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 8/23/13, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>> The devs can then monitor the
>> status of these tests independently, and when something goes
>> wrong, they
>> can ping whoever is responsible for that project to
>> investigate what
>> might be the cause.
>
> That's basically the same thing I said in that other thread.
> Considering that we have a very close D community, this sort of
> workflow could work.

Yep. I don't think anybody is suggesting to add external projects
to the main CI system – at least I certainly wouldn't, being part
of both the compiler and library writer camps.

But it could still be useful to have an automated "real world
health check" that is available publicly, maybe even integrated
with the official D package repository, if we are going to have
one anytime soon (btw, did I miss any "official" announcement
regarding code.dlang.org/dub?).

This is not about shifting the responsibility for maintaining the
library to the core team, it's about empowering people working on
the frontend/druntime/Phobos to know when they are breaking
real-world code. I think it's pretty clear at this point that the
regression test suite is not anywhere near exhaustive for even
the specified parts of the language, and then there are still the
many holes in the spec to consider as well.

Maybe we can pull this off with an improved beta process where
all D users are actually persuaded to participate. But seeing
that Walter seems to avoid incorporating any of the ideas in that
direction that have been brought up on dmd-beta previously (more
public announcements, at least a rough tentative release
schedule, meaningful file names/version info, …), I'm not sure
what the plan is there.

David