High ranking of D on Google software technologies trends

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Aug 25 17:17:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 00:00:30 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> I was just thinking that it must be so, because if the ranking
> was just a naive aggregate, or had any major contribution from
> searches with alternative meanings, the single-letter-named
> languages would blow all the others away.

Further evidence of that -- if you click through "Explore" for C,
D or R, the interest over time is pretty much constant,
suggesting that aggregate search volume has no semantic meaning
in itself -- single letters are probably completely randomly
distributed as search terms, across virtually all topics, meaning
their overall volume must be huge.

Then look at the interest graphs for Java, HTML or SQL. Broad
peaks, narrow troughs, almost certainly working weeks and
weekends. Those searches are surely dominated by
programming-related queries by working developers.

Peak interest in LaTeX presumably occurs at the same time as some
interesting parties in San Francisco :-)