obsolete D libraries/modules

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 23:44:06 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 29 August 2013 at 06:34:23 UTC, Peter Williams wrote:
> On 29/08/13 16:11, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> I will say this, one thing about D that has annoyed me from the
>> beginning is the state of the gui libs. Hence why in last
>> month I've
>> been having a real good play around with OpengGL and creating
>> my own
>> library [1].
>
> On this topic, I started looking at porting one of my PyGTK
> applications to GtkD and found that the knowledge of PyGTK API
> wasn't a great deal of help in this endeavor.  I think the
> problem is Python's "duck typing" and dynamic typing allow for
> a very flexible API that is much simpler than GTK+'s and GtkD's
> is much like GTK+'s.  The problem is complicated by the fact
> that the amount of documentation is huge and it's often
> difficult to find where something is defined.
>
> Anyway, long story short, I've decided to investigate the
> feasibility of rewriting the parts of GTK+ that I like directly
> in D.  It's early days yet and the code is in a private
> repository on github.  I'll keep it private until I have some
> useful subset working at which time I'll make it public.  Of
> course, if I find that it's all too hard I'll just delete it.
>
> Early indications are that the code will be much simpler than
> the original as GTK+ implements its own OOP and GC where I'll
> just delegate that to D. :-)
>
> Peter

Nice :)
Although be careful it was designed for more Posix environment.
I'm keeping DOOGLE as far limited in terms of platform dependence.
So porting is literally implement the OpenGL context creation and
Window creation classes.

Also for anyone interested I'm keeping the controls that require
text out of DOOGLE because of the font rasterizer dependency.