obsolete D libraries/modules

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Aug 29 00:02:39 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-29 03:13, Ramon wrote:
> Apologies if this is the wrong forum or even the wrong place but it
> seems to me there is a kind of tight connection between dlang and
> dsource.org (to which the following relates).
>
> I can perfectly well understand that any group around a not yet globally
> known language with a not yet richly endowed assortment of libraries
> isn't eager to push the kill button on 3rd party/user created modules.
>
> And yes, it sure gives a new user a warm nice feeling to discover lots
> of available modules (which after all translates to a quick start and
> efficiency for many taskS).
>
> Let me, however, also share my experience and feelings as a (exited and
> pleased) newbie to D when one finds out that what seems to be easily
> 2/3rd of seemingly available modules are "dead, exitus, this bird is
> passed away, gone, dead, and only sitting there because someone drove a
> nail through the poor animal" or, at best optimistically pre-early-alpha
> (speaking with a friendly grin).
>
> Feels like a 16 ton weight coming down (if I may borrow again from
> Python, here).

Well, dsource.org is dead. The projects are basically there for
reference only. Most project these days are at Github. I guess there
isn't an obvious way to find all of them though.

> And there is another unpleasant side effect: It doesn't feel profoundly
> attractive to write something and put it in between all those dead parrots.
>
> I'd like to suggest therefore that we begin to mildly weed out dead or
> stuck-in-dream stage modules or at least discreetly mark them as RIP.
>
> In case someone is interested in what disappointed me most, it's hto2
> and bcd-gen, bot of which address an important need and both of which
> don't look healthy and useful.
> This is particularly troublesome as "make C libs work in D" type tools
> are essential in any effort to bring D forward in the world out there.
>
> In case someone feels like hitting me: Hold it. This thread was written
> with good intention and the honest worry that a lack of libs and a lack
> of some support for bringing in C stuff might turn out to be regrettable
> bumps in the road.

DStep is a a tool for automatically converting C headers to D modules:

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep

There's also a Github organization dedicated to C bindings, created by
the D community and language authors:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/
http://jkm.github.io/d-programming-language.org/deimos.html

--