Build Master: Scheduling II

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 00:23:06 PST 2013

On 12/4/13, 3:09 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-12-03 15:25, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>
>> I am working on a MacMini running OS X v10.9. I have Ubuntu 13.10 Server
>> loaded in VirtualBox and will be using Jordi Sayol's script to build
>> packages for linux/Windows and Jacob Carlborg script for OSX.
>>
>> Both of these scripts require an preexisting release zip and as of this
>> moment, I am unaware of the steps to create that file. I will need some
>> instructions on how to access and run the auto tester if that's what
>> generates the zip or, if it's already automatically created,
>> instructions on how to retrieve and stage it for the build.
>
> Unfortunately there is no publicly available script (or similar) that
> creates the zip. It's Walter how always creates it.
>
> As others have said, the closest you get it probably the script Nick is
> working on: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/24
>
>> I will be setting up a tag on github today for the first beta release of
>> 2.065 (2.065-b1).
>>
>> Request your corporation/support in ensuring a smooth process.
>
> Ideally there should be a "one-click" tool/script that manages the
> complete release of a new version, including beta and release
> candidates. With one command it should:
>
> * Create a git tag for all involved repositories

Working on that.

> * Instruct the autotester to build the compiler, libraries, installers
> and all tools for each platform based on the newly created tag

Will need access from Brad Roberts. Have yet to receive any kind of
response to date.

> * Assemble the cross-platform zip on one of the autotester machines

ditto

> * Upload zip and all installers to the Digital Mars FTP and/or Amazon or
> wherever these things are currently hosted

ditto

> * Generate the changelog from bugzilla. The overview/general information
> should already be present in the changelog at this time

Will need help on this one.

> * Updates the website with the new changelog and links to the new release

ditto

> * Posts a message to the announce newsgroup, twitter, reddit? and any
> social networks we would like to post to

This should be separate. Previous experience (not my own) shows that
some days are better posting than others.

> Preferably there should be options to disable any of these steps make it
> possible to just assembly the compiler and tools but not make a proper
> release (update website post to social networks)

Makes sense. Will be great when this is complete. In the interim though,
we need to be able to perform manual semi-manual production so that the
release cycle is not delayed.