D vs Go in real life

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:08:34 PST 2013

"Shammah Chancellor" <anonymous at coward.com> wrote in message
news:l7n6fh$16s0$1 at digitalmars.com...

>> Yeah.  See:
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/khkst4$13ad$1@digitalmars.com
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/jqvduhyvfufpzovpyqbj@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> Patches against dmd:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1980
>> Converter tool: https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2
>> Pull requests marked DDMD:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pulls/yebblies
>

> This is AWESOME!!!!   Keep up the good work.  Can't wait to see how the
> DMD frontend performs in D.
>

>From a quick test, compiling ddmd with ddmd takes about 80% longer than
compiling ddmd with c++dmd.  I suspect a lot of this is from not using the
tuned allocator from the C++ version.

> With the version, is there any chance of LLVM being the default backend --
> or is Walter opposed to that?

As Walter said, there is no chance of that happening.  However, we are
slowly working to integrate or refactor away all gdc/ldc patches against the
frontend.  This should greatly reduce the effort to merge patches, hopefully
resulting in all three compilers permanently being in sync.