D vs Go in real life, part 2. Also, Erlang.

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Dec 5 06:33:12 PST 2013

On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 08:21:07 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-12-04 17:20, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> Ah this is rather sad. It makes tests results somewhat
>> unstable because
>> client load interferes with server load. Ideally client should
>> be
>> separate machine and has more powerful h/w than server.
>> However, that
>> also requires ~gigabit network in between as well as matching
>> network
>> cards to hit the limits of top server performance - this makes
>> such
>> tests rather cumbersome to execute.
>>
>> At the very least you should use process affinity to separate
>> resources
>> between client and server in more predictable manner.
>
> Isn't it most important that all languages were tested in the
> same way?

Depends on your goals :) If you want just to say "hah, your
language is nothing compared to my language" it is enough. If you
want to make some observations/conclusions about specific
implementation performance and how it scale for different
conditions it becomes important to remove as many side impact as
possible. And of course at high load/concurrency levels client
competing with server for connections does make notable impact.
In other words, it is good enough for comparison but not good
enough for actual performance analysis.