D vs Go in real life

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Dec 5 23:30:01 PST 2013

On 2013-12-06 03:02, Walter Bright wrote:

> Easy to say, but doing Win64 was a major effort:
>
> 1. bizarre function calling conventions
>
> 2. undocumented symbolic debug info format
>
> 3. new object file format
>
> Making such changes on a backend without thoroughly understanding how
> the backend works would be quite a challenge. I seriously doubt anyone
> could have done that on the tight schedule I was under.

Yes, I understand that. Hopefully you wouldn't have moved to LLVM and at
the same time implement Win64. Meaning that hopefully you would have had
better knowledge about the LLVM source code when starting with Win64.

> Besides, forking LLVM subverts most of the advantages of using it.

Just fold in the changes from upstream. Yes, I know that won't be as
easy as having the code merged with upstream.

--
/Jacob Carlborg