Build Master: Scheduling II

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Dec 6 09:09:32 PST 2013

On 2013-12-06 17:45, Andrew Edwards wrote:

> I crashed my system so I had to start over with a fresh
> installation/configuration. The following images are installed within
> VirtualBox:
>
>      OS X 10.9
>      Ubuntu 12.04
>      Fedora 19
>      FreeBSD 9.2
>      Windows 7 [1]
>
> All images are 64 bits and allotted 20.00 GB fixed storage, 32 MB Video
> Memory, and enabled Bridge network adapter. The base system is currently
> a MacMini running OSX 10.9 but will be upgraded to a Mac Pro in the near
> future. Are there any other OS's that should be included?

I would have chosen Debian instead of Ubuntu and something like Red Hat
or CentOS instead of Fedora. The reason for this is that they're older
and more likely to work on more systems.

Have you verified that you can compile for 32bit on all of these
systems. I tried PC-BSD (based on FreeBSD) and it had problems compiling
32bit. It can actually correctly generate code but the header files
can't handle both 32 and 64bit. That means you can compile D code for
32bit but not C++.

> Not sure what the correct configuration should be but I do know that, at
> my current level of expertise, configuring them can be a pain in the
> arse.... Are there any scripts available to configure/secure these
> operating systems? Any suggestions regarding configuration to eliminate
> problems during build process?
>
> [1] There is not yet a windows image installed as I do not have an
> installation CD.

I'm wondering if you can use Wine or ReactOS. But if would be preferred
to use real Windows.

--
/Jacob Carlborg