OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Dec 12 08:32:58 PST 2013

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 14:28:41 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 12/12/13 10:21, monarch_dodra wrote:
>> I'm actually baffled to hear that someone of your caliber has
>> is not a
>> professional programmer. Passion and theory alone will only
>> get you so far...
>> (IMO).
>
> I don't know if this speaks to Andrej's situation, but you'd be
> amazed at how much it can matter in some countries that one
> doesn't have a degree or a "professional" qualification.
> Somehow an actual record of excellent work doesn't cut it in
> some places.

I think it is more of a stereotype nowadays. Still true for some
extremely conservative areas like banking but in general
companies become increasingly aware of fact that they simply
can't afford that attitude anymore because of global lack of
programmers. It has changed a lot as long as I have been
observing the industry and I am only doing it for ~6 years.