OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Dec 12 08:37:51 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 03:28:35PM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 12/12/13 10:21, monarch_dodra wrote:
> >I'm actually baffled to hear that someone of your caliber has is not
> >a professional programmer. Passion and theory alone will only get you
> >so far...  (IMO).
>
> I don't know if this speaks to Andrej's situation, but you'd be
> amazed at how much it can matter in some countries that one doesn't
> have a degree or a "professional" qualification.  Somehow an actual
> record of excellent work doesn't cut it in some places.
[...]

My dad was wise when he advised me, many years ago, to pursue higher
studies in spite of the fact that at the time I'd already mastered
assembly language programming and could easily pick up any language in a
short time. He told me that just because I had the ability doesn't
necessarily mean people would recognize it, and that having that piece
of paper (i.e., a degree) to show would open many doors. I'm very
thankful I took his advice.

Meat: euphemism for dead animal. -- Flora