OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:05:32 PST 2013

On 13 December 2013 17:18, Meta <jared771 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 12:06:57 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> 2013:
>> Suffered an occupational burn-out/breakdown
>>

> Is the stereotype about most game studios working their employees to the
> bone during crunch time true?

Yes.
I have barely seen an exception.
If you also want to get paid well, then you're double screwed.

I have friends all over. My mates from Rockstar tell the worst stories
though by far.

I've heard the horror stories about 16 hour days. I'm going to be starting
> an internship at EA soon, to see if game development is a field I want to
> go into, and this is one of my top worries about working for a game
> development company.

Well... I hate to say it, but I wonder if your choice of studio might not
be the best to make a positive impression of the industry. It's a problem
across the industry, but EA are notorious for being among the worst.
That said, there are lots of EA studios, and they're all different. Which
one?

I worked consistent 16 hour days for a year solid at my previous job (Krome
Studios in Australia) before the studio melted down spectacularly.
Never really gave myself a change to recover from that before going
straight into another job which also had a lot of crunching (though
fortunately, a lot less in my department).
It was fine when I was a kid, but it creeps up on you. For me, I realised I
wasn't putting the effort in that I expected from myself at first. I could
sit there staring at my screen, but by brain kinda seised up, and I got
very little work done.
When I consciously realised what was happening, I had to start thinking
about how to fix it, before it ruins my lifes passion.