Ehem, ARM

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Fri Dec 13 12:37:44 PST 2013

On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 17:18:30 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> Yes, ARM D support is really important.
>
> https://josephscott.org/archives/2013/12/is-facebook-planning-a-move-to-arm-based-servers/

It also came out today that Google is thinking about designing
custom ARM chips to put in their servers:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/13/5206420/google-arm-chips-for-servers-rumor

> BTW, it might be a good idea to also target ARM64, while we're
> at it...

Phobos seems to be largely arch-independent.  Druntime has some
limited ARM support and Martin committed the first druntime patch
that references AARCH64 a couple months back: :)

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/commit/6803132b0d76ef895718fe8f0e835bf8dc3d0ecf#diff-4c8de49e7eb91f21fda73e8133fea05aR219

The missing piece is that dmd doesn't have an ARM backend.  The
other D compilers do however, and Apple plans to open-source
their custom AARCH64 backend and merge it into the existing one
in llvm soon:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1ODM

So I imagine D users will have ARM/AARCH64 support at some point
next year, depending on how long it takes to put all the pieces
together.