Ehem, ARM

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Sat Dec 14 03:49:16 PST 2013

https://josephscott.org/archives/2013/12/is-facebook-planning-a-move-to-arm-based-servers/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/13/5206420/google-arm-chips-for-servers-rumor

>> BTW, it might be a good idea to also target ARM64, while we're at it...
>

> Phobos seems to be largely arch-independent.  Druntime has some limited
ARM support and Martin committed the first druntime patch that references
AARCH64 a couple months back: :)

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/commit/6803132b0d76ef895718fe8f0e835bf8dc3d0ecf#diff-4c8de49e7eb91f21fda73e8133fea05aR219

> The missing piece is that dmd doesn't have an ARM backend.  The other D
compilers do however, and Apple plans to open-source their custom AARCH64
backend and merge it into the existing one in llvm soon:

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1ODM
>
> So I imagine D users will have ARM/AARCH64 support at some point next
year, depending on how long it takes to put all the pieces together.

And assuming someone doesn't write some new x86 centric module to replace
the well tested, architecture independent implementation just because you
can't use it in ctfe.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw