D benchmark code review

Chris Cain clcain at uncg.edu
Sat Dec 14 13:12:11 PST 2013

On Saturday, 14 December 2013 at 20:37:21 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> I am not talking about it "being a problem", but about not
> being user-friendly when you are faced with unknown code where
> you do not know the symbols, it will slow you down.  "<>" is
> much more visually distinct, but I know the reasoning of
> keeping the parser simple. I just disagree with the solution.
> It is not  as comprehensible as it should be.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with any of this. You are minimally
required to have some understanding of what symbols mean to use
any programming language (Who would guess that blah<int> is a
template instantiation in C++ or generic in other languages
without being familiar with what <>s mean in that context?).
Plus, even if your point is "just don't know that one symbol but
don't want to spend time learning it", still, I've shown some D
code to someone who actually didn't know D code but they fully
understood and comprehended what "memoize!myFunc(a)" did despite
not understanding the intricacies of its implementation.