D benchmark code review

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sat Dec 14 13:47:50 PST 2013

> Also, I'm not sure I agree with any of this. You are minimally
> required to have some understanding of what symbols mean to use
> any programming language (Who would guess that blah<int> is a

No, if you have strong distinct visual cues the brain does not
have to reason but you will use the pattern-recognition that your
brain supports for classifying visual cues in our natural
environment. The moment you have to think about what an
identifier means you have started to strain the brain. You are
being slowed down and will become more tired and make more
mistakes because you can only "juggle" a limited set of
symbols/challenges at the same time.

Basically if you should visually "feel" that something is an
array etc. "int" is so common so that symbol is not read but
instantly recognised. Colours in an editor might also help.
Layout helps. Redundant cues help.  The basic goal should be that
the logical structure of the program should be available as
visual patterns that can be directly detected without reasoning,
not as indirection (like names with no visual cues) that requires
interpretation and conscious cognitive effort.

Ola.