D benchmark code review

Chris Cain clcain at uncg.edu
Sat Dec 14 14:22:09 PST 2013

On Saturday, 14 December 2013 at 20:00:30 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:
> Composite brackets, a-la the SPECS 'C++ Resyntaxed' **
> proposal, would work. <[]>, <[<[]>]> may be a bit heavy but not
> too bad.
>
> I haven't found the !() syntax for D templates to be a problem
> though and prefer it to <> from C++ and Java. If I were
> searching for D blemishes, I wouldn't look there first.
>
> -- Brian
>
> **
> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/ModestProposal.html

I'd like to note that I _loved_ that paper the first time I read
it. I actually saved it to my Dropbox to refer back to if I ever
decided to write my own language. But composite brackets honestly
seem a bit too heavy, like you said. When I saw D's usage of an
infix !, I was more intrigued. Especially after the ()s were made
optional when the template instantiation was a single token long.
Very convenient to type and, more importantly, read IMO.