Implementing Half Floats in D

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:21:39 PST 2013

On Thursday, 31 January 2013 at 19:04:05 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:53:58PM +0100, Zach the Mystic wrote:
>> On Thursday, 31 January 2013 at 15:38:04 UTC, Don wrote:
>> >I'm not sure that we can solve this without addressing the
>> >high-level question: What is the scope of Phobos?
>> >
>> >How big will it eventually get? Twice its current size? Ten
>> >times?
>> >A hundred times?
>>
>> Purely by chance I read an article on the blog of Jarrett
>> Billingsley about this topic:
>>
>> http://www.jfbillingsley.com/blog/?p=206
>
> Interesting. I think Phobos can be easily divided into two
> parts, with
> core stuff like std.algorithm, std.range, std.stdio, etc., in
> one, and
> less common but still widely applicable stuff like numeric
> algorithms in
> a "2nd party" library (or libraries).
>
> Even if we don't actually split Phobos up in that way, this may
> help us
> reorganize Phobos in a better way. The current flat std
> hierarchy is
> slowly approaching the point where it's starting to tear at the
> seams.
> We should consider starting a 3rd level of hierarchy sooner
> rather than
> later.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I find Jarret's writings to
be quite brilliant. He designed a Lua-like language called miniD,
based partly on D, but renamed Croc after he left the D
community. I feel like I've learned a lot about programming just
by reading the spec for his language.