Expanding Phobos from a flat hierachy

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Feb 6 03:32:17 PST 2013

On Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:06:18 deadalnix wrote:
> Andrei made a proposal to allow transforming a module into a
> package. It seems to me like the way to go for this.

Yes, but that's a different issue. It's one thing to take std.algorithm or
std.datetime and turn them into packages while still allowing you to import
std.algorithm or std.datetime as before. It's quite another to completely
replace a module with another module. To do that, you need a new module.
Anything else will break code. The question then is what to name the new
module.

> This is even possible to manage several versions of the lib using
> version that way. And different module can even import their own.
> Sound like a better idea than messing up with names.

You could replace the entire module in-place, but doing so will break code,
and Walter in particular is very much against that in general. Whatever we did
would require allowing people to transition from one to the other and we might
even have to leave the old one around permanently (which I don't like, but I'm
sure that Walter would favor). Simply changing it with a new version of Phobos
wouldn't cut it.

- Jonathan M Davis