Expanding Phobos from a flat hierachy

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Feb 6 09:22:56 PST 2013

On 2/6/13 11:09 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-06 15:03, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> That's awesome. I skimmed the docs and the capabilities are pretty much
>> what I'd expect. We should push for integrating Orbit in the standard
>> distro. That entails a formal proposal, community review and voting etc.
>> etc.
>
> This tool has a couple of dependencies on my own libraries (available of
> course) and Tango. I'm not feeling so enthusiastic to remove these
> dependencies.
>
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstack
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/mambo

I understand. The way I see this is as an motivation and opportunity to
add the necessary functionality to Phobos. I may be uninformed, but the
way I see it basic package management doesn't have to be very demanding
on library functionality.

>> One question - since you mention replacing Ruby with D, I'm thinking it
>> may be a good opportunity to just use D syntax everywhere. The arguments
>> have been hashed already - a D user is supposed to know of all syntaxes
>> that of D itself etc.
>
> That was what I was referring to.
>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I was thinking having basically the same syntax. One syntax I'm not sure
> what to do about is the hash literal syntax Ruby uses.
>
> orb "dwt", git: "git://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dwt.git"
>
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Integration
>
> The above could be translated to:
>
> orb("dwt", ["git" : "git://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dwt.git");
>
> That doesn't look very nice.
>
> Also I might need to be able pass values of different types in the same
> hash. Sure, Variant can be used in that case but that would look even
> more uglier.

I'd say go with strings throughout. For the package manager
"compile-time" is pretty much same as "run-time" so no need for early
typechecking.

Andrei