Expanding Phobos from a flat hierachy

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Feb 7 07:34:43 PST 2013

Am Thu, 07 Feb 2013 05:19:56 +0100
schrieb "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>:

> On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 at 21:07:24 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
> > On 2/6/2013 12:15 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > > I don't think that it's generally worth trying to rearrange
> > > the modules that we already have. So, adding std.halffloat
> > would be bad, but I'm
> > > not sure that it's worth doing something like moving std.uri
> > into std.net.
> > > Even if we did, we'd be forced to leave std.uri around for
> > quite some time
> >
> > At least the contents of std.uri can be nothing more than:
> >
> >   module std.uri;
> >   public import std.net.uri;
>
> Just throwing in an idea, in case no one mentioned it yet:
>
> To avoid cluttering the Phobos directory structure,
> documentation, makefiles, etc. with redirect modules, the
> redirect modules can be placed in a completely separate directory
> (which would also have a "std" subdirectory), which would be
> added to sc.ini/dmd.conf's include path.

That's cool. Together with the other proposals I think we have
enough infrastructure ready to solve all problems with module
updates and moves. You can also remove that line from dmd.conf
and add it only to project configurations with 'legacy' code.
Since IDEs like Mono-D already scan available modules in the
include paths for imports, this would reduce the noise a bit.

--
Marco