What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Thu Feb 14 04:20:12 PST 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:38:53 -0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> * std.getopt - Doesn't support the following:
>    * Required arguments
>    * Restricting the values of a given argument
>    * No way to automatically create a help/usage list out of the
> arguments
>    * Handling positional arguments
>    * No support for commands/action. That is "git commit", "commit"
> would be the command/action
>    * Handle multiple command lines
>    * Validation of the arguments

Just a minor point from me.  I reckon the functionality you want can and
should be built on top of std.getopt.

As others have said you could either do this first and get it submitted to
phobos, and then work on the other issues and getting Orbit itself in
there.. or you can build this functionality into a module within Orbit and
then work on getting that extracted as a separate module in phobos.

The former delays ppl being able to use Orbit, the latter means more work
down the line to refactor Orbit - tho hopefully this will just be an
import declaration change, tho it may also include a slight API change if
ppl are unhappy with the existing one.