What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 15 06:00:55 PST 2013

On 2/15/13 3:29 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-02-15 07:29, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>
>> It could then the only roadblock is dependency on Tango.
>> The only problem I had with serialization is that it's like using huge
>> module to do the "dump this struct in JSON" kind of thing that's doable
>> in 20-30 lines.
>
> It's not huge. I already had the serialization library available. Not
> using it would be stupid.
>
> Having 30k+ lines of code just to get the time _is_ huge.
>
>> In the option b Anyway the comment about porting from Tango still
>> applies.
>
> Just because you guys are too stubborn to include it in the distribution.

I think this is an unfair characterization.

My understanding of your position is as follows. You have code that's
working just fine. It uses this and that library here and there - more
or less intensively, but that's the way it always is with libraries.
Since it's there and is working, you'd want to take the path of least
resistance to including it in the standard distribution.

That's an understandable position to be having. It also will not lead to
the inclusion of your code as part of the standard distribution for
simple and objective reasons: licensing and overlapping functionality. I
understand this can be frustrating, but it should give no reason to
adopt posturing and attribute fault without reason.

Andrei