The DUB package manager

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Feb 18 16:08:31 PST 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:16:00 -0500
Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
[...]

Let me put it this way: My issues with OS-specific package managers
mainly boil down to:

- They're OS-specific.

- Anything that isn't part of the official public repo(s) is a
second-class citizen. Ex: AFAIK, You can't really do anything like
"apt-get install http://example.com/foo/bar-2.7" or "apt-get install
./private-package-that-joe-sent-me-via-email".

- No private, non-systemwide, restricted-user installations (AFAIK).

- [This one might be Debian-specific:] Totally different repos and
version availability depending on which OS version.

- <rant> [Definitely Debian-specific:] They can't even name the damn
multiple repos sanely: "woody', "squeeze", "sarge", are you fucking
kidding me? They're not even alphabetical, for fuck's sake! Just
give me ".../repos/debian-6" please, and keep your idiotic versioning
pet names to yourselves. Also, backports should be enabled by
default, especially for an OS like Debian with infrequent official
releases.</rant>

If those problems are fixed, then *great*, I'll jump right on board
both feet first. But until then, there will always be legitimate
reasons to side-step the OS-based package managers, for the sakes of
*both* user and developer.

FWIW: I'll take the OS-level package managers *anyway* over the bad-old
days of ~2000/2001 when we had all that fun of dealing with individual
rpms/debs and such manually. Or autotools-based src-only releases that
barely did any dependency management at all and just barfed out
compiler errors if *everything* wasn't already set up perfectly.