The DUB package manager

Moritz Maxeiner moritz at ucworks.org
Mon Feb 18 16:38:14 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 at 00:08:40 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:16:00 -0500
> Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Anything that isn't part of the official public repo(s) is a
> second-class citizen. Ex: AFAIK, You can't really do anything
> like
> "apt-get install http://example.com/foo/bar-2.7" or "apt-get
> install
> ./private-package-that-joe-sent-me-via-email".

I agree with you in general, but you do represent this one point
as if it was the case in every OS. It is in every debian-derivate
I know (debian,ubuntu,mint, etc) and I don't intend to argue
about that,but there are others, mainly Archlinux, who don't do
it that way.
E.g. everything in Arch is build via PKGBUILD's. The packages in
the main repos and the packages in the AUR (which is a place
*anyone* can contribute PKGBUILD's to in an orderly fashion).
Writing a PKGBUILD from the skeleton file is usually less than 2
minutes work and then you in fact, can send your friend that
package via email: Send the PKGBUILD and the source tarball, your
friend then only has to do "makepkg -s" and "sudo pacman -U
package-created-by-makepkg".
There are no second-class citizens (packages) in Archlinux.
I don't want to say that it's your job to write a PKGBUILD file,
or any OS-specific package stuff and I do agree with you on your
other points - especially since I do use multiple native OSs and
several VMs, I'm just saying don't hate all OS package managers
just because apt is a (imho) piece of ****.