The DUB package manager

Marco Nembrini marco.nembrini.co at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 16:48:41 PST 2013

On 18.02.2013 08:32, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 15:40:25 +0100
> "Dicebot" <m.strashun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Packaging is best done (and should be) by OS package manager, not
>> hundreds of languages-specific managers. Good language package
>> manager in my opinion is just an information source for OS
>> package builders.
>
> I'm not real big on the idea of OS package managers. Not when Unix is
> in the picture anyway. I'm getting really fed up with software that has
> a "download / install" webpage populated with totally different
> instructions for an endless, yet always incomplete, list of Linux
> variants. And *maybe* BSD. And then on top of that, the poor *project*
> maintainers have to maintain all of that distro-specific cruft. Unless
> they're lucky and the project is big enough that the ditro maintainers
> are willing to waste *their* time converting the package into something
> that only works on their own distro.
>
> I believe I can sum up my thoughts with: "Fuck that shit."

Are you aware of the 0install project
(http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/) ?

It seems to me that it solves most packaging problems while still being
able to collaborate with the OS package manager if needed.

 From the project page:

"Zero Install is a decentralised cross-distribution software
installation system. Other features include full support for shared
libraries, sharing between users, and integration with native platform
package managers. It supports both binary and source packages, and works
on Linux, Mac OS X, Unix and Windows systems. It is fully Open Source."
--

Marco Nembrini