The DUB package manager

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:42:17 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 at 09:55:30 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> So do you.
>
> There, that was constructive ;)

Well, at least I have tried both of approaches, both as user and
as maintainer. I really can't understand how you can state that
OS package managers do not work if you have not even tried
packaging.

> Don't twist my words around. I never said anything about not
> learning
> the OS package manager.
>
> The issue is, if I'm going to do the same thing on multiple
> systems,
> there's no reason it can't be doable the same way, and there's
> no
> benefit to having it be completely different.

Why it is the issues? Obsession with "same way" is as harmful, in
my opinion, as obsession with being cross-platform. You always
want to take care about OS specifics, why hide them anyway? There
is no benefit in using same command everywhere.

> So yea, I could install DMD, for example, a totally different
> way on
> different systems, but why should I when I can just do "dvm
> install
> xxxxx" on *all* the systems?

Because you can be somewhat certain then that dependencies are
taken care of right, file location does not interfere with your
filesystem layout, no garbage will be left upon uninstall etc.
Because it is a waste of resources to implement a new mature
package manager for each new language when one already exists for
target platform.

> And to top it off, imagine trying to do that as part of a bigger
> script.

Build scripts that install stuff instead of you are evil. This
bigger script should provide dependency list you or your package
manager can take care of. Irrational coupling of functionality is
evil, too.

> Why do you prefer making extra work for yourself? Some
> puritanical
> ideal of "If I'm on x OS I *have* to use the stuff that only
> works there"? And don't tell me it's because you don't want to
> have
> to learn a few extra trivial commands, because you're doing
> *plenty* of
> complaining here about how completely ridiculous you think it
> is to
> avoid learning a few more easy commands. (Nevermind that you're
> also the
> only one who's actually objected to having to learn commands,
> in the
> same post nonetheless.)

You rarely learn something just because you can (unless you have
a lot of spare time). There should be some benefit, some reason.
Especially when this news stuff does something that is already
perfectly done by existing and known stuff. Especially when this
new stuff attempts to hide from you something that you really
need to take care of.

> If you're just going to resort to obvious hyperbole, there's no
> point
> in dealing with you.

It is an analogy, not hyperbole and I am quite serious about it.
Personal insults does not help.