The DUB package manager

FG home at fgda.pl
Wed Feb 20 03:47:28 PST 2013

On 2013-02-20 11:32, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>> As for the X11 stuff, that's still more manual than I'd like when it
>> comes to X11. (Like I said, I've had *BIG* problems dealing directly
>> with X11 in the past.) But I may give it a try. I'm sure it's improved
>> since the nightmares I had with it back around 2001/2002, but I
>> still worry *how* much improved... Heck, I've even had X11 problems as
>> recently as Ubuntu 10.
>>

> Ah, okay, that's strange but I can understand that. The only problems I ever had
> with X was that I had to add an InputClass to the evdev file because evdev
> otherwise kept refusing to enable USB mice(s).

Diving deeper into the OT...
Not strange at all. I had similar experiences around 2001 when I bought a new
immitation-of-ATI GFX card -- first there were no drivers for it and, when they
finally showed up (proprietary and others), after weeks of configuring Xorg, I
still couldn't make 3d acceleration work and ended up without it for the next
few years. Not only Xorg are a problem. Even today I can't fire up the newest
Ubuntu install CDs without the screen going blank. That's how bad things are
with X and even framebuffer console. So I am not surprised hearing about
problems in this domain.

As for package managers, I'm fine with using the OS ones for almost everything
and Python's own system for its extra modules (only because I consider it an
ecosystem of its own). Still, I compile some programs and libs myself (when
their most current version is required), but only when they aren't a dependency
for something I wouldn't want to compile on my own.

I am still not convinced why D would need a package manager. Why not use a
standardized build script with dependency checks or just use CMake like
everybody else does?