D is coming to a town near you

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Feb 20 10:42:41 PST 2013

Rob T:

> and do a ton of boring stuff like stabilize D2/Phobos before
> moving on to D3, install better processes for documentation and
> developing the language specifications, and of course continue
> to improve the release process (it still needs a real beta and
> stable release), etc.

"Stabilize" is the wrong word to use. Implementing the 64
compiler is good, implementing shared libraries is good, porting
D runtime/Phobos to RISC CPUs is good, replacing the GC is good,
improving the floating point management by DMD is good, and so on
and on.

But in my opinion what's more needed now is instead to try to
complete as much as possible the design and implementation of the
missing/broken/incomplete parts of the core language (like
finishing const/immutable design, finishing the implementation of
pure, redesigning properties, fixing @trusted, doing what's
possible with shared, doing what's possible to finish the
inference of tags like pure in templated functions, finishing the
design of packages, finishing the implementation of the module
system, finishing the design of operator overloading, and so on.
The complete list of broken/unfinished parts scares me).

Bye,
bearophile