D is coming to a town near you

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Wed Feb 20 10:16:40 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 18:03:50 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> I would say in late 2011 - early 2012 I hit more than usual
> talks about D in russian segment of the web, maybe it was
> growing that time.
>
> But D has been loosing position in Tiobe index for a year. And
> two other measures which I know: http://langpop.com/ and
> http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/ also do not give much
> preference to it.

When I fist investigated D about a year ago, I noticed that
Google searches brought up more D1/Tango stuff than D2 stuff, and
there seemed to be a ton of former D1/Tango activity that
suddenly stopped when D2/Phobos came out. I also noted the same
indexes that showed D was relatively noticeable on the charts,
but then dropped almost out of sight.

It was clear to me that a fight had happened and there was a
split and many people had suddenly abandoned D causing the rapid
drop off the charts.

What may be underway is a resurgence around D2, so what we need
to do is not repeat past mistakes, and do a ton of boring stuff
like stabilize D2/Phobos before moving on to D3, install better
processes for documentation and developing the language
specifications, and of course continue to improve the release
process (it still needs a real beta and stable release), etc.

--rt