D project management for better growth and longevity

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 07:44:55 PST 2013

On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 15:25:56 UTC, qznc wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 February 2013 at 14:29:26 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> See also Gerrit, etc:
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kzjhkzskghqopvcnacla@forum.dlang.org
>
> Github is not enough?
>
> I have no practical experience with Gerrit. What does it offer
> that Github does not?

Github's forks have no user relationship between forks. Each fork
is logically seperated from every other in the sense I am talking
about.

I'm visualizing a whole front end and back end system that
supports development and project management not just a way to
version projects.

The goal is to make it very easy for users to contribute. The
easier it is the more users will contribute AND the more
productive they will be.

For example, suppose I write my GC. How does that related to D?
Sure I can push the changes to D's git repository but how does it
relate? How do I communicate with those people that I am pushing
to? How do I communicate with others working on similar
projects(maybe I want to merge)? It is not easy with git. There
is no real hierarchy involved exist the physical forking. Sure
you can get emails of people or all get on the same forum but
then you are dealing with non-related topics... sure you can
create your own forum or have a sub-forum... but again, it isn't
streamlined and hierarchical.

As I said, git could be used for each project but a front end
would overlay it to "connect the dots" and be able to visualize
the hierarchy and delve into all the projects, and when you
contribute your own project it is integrated into the system
naturally. Any pushes can be setup to automatically build into
the system. (so if you make a GC one can setup the system to
automatically compile it into D or if you make some tool it can
automatically include it into the ide interface and/or installer)