The DUB package manager

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Feb 23 10:40:24 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 21:44 +0400, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
[…]
> I have to say that no amount of provided out of the box nice libraries
> and top-notch GC help alleviate the dire need for plain value-types and
> some kind of terseness (rows of static final int xyz = blah; to define a
> bunch of constants). With Java version being 5 or 6 (as is usually the
> case in production ATM) there is basically not a single construct to
> avoid horrible duplication of information on each line.

Maybe in Java 1.4, 8 years ago a plethora of public static final int
constants, but these days seeing that implies a bad design, a complete
lack of updating/refactoring of the software to modern Java features, or
simple laziness. Java 5 introduced more than generics.

The G1 GC is a significant improvements to Java.

Java supports value types, albeit as objects on the heap. Give me an
example of the problem so we can approach this with more than waffly
statements.

Far too few programmers use the final keyword properly/effectively.

> There are few shortcuts in Java 7, and even more stuff in Java 8 but all
> of it is coming horribly too late and doesn't fix the "big picture".
> Plus that has to propagate into the  mainstream.

This is Java's serious problem. There are still people using Java 1.4.2
because they can't be bothered to update to Java 5 let alone 7.

[…]

I have many problems with Java, it is very verbose, but it needs to be
criticized in a fair manner not in a "slag off" way. Clearly everyone on
this list is going to prefer D over Java, but that is not permission to
use inappropriate argumentation.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk