D for the JVM

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:47:12 PST 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:00:16 -0800, OlliP <jeti789 at web.de> wrote:

> I'm quite serious here, no joking ... Make a version of D for the JVM
> and it'll be a big success for the language and a business case at the
> same time. So many Java developers are meanwhile really not amused
> anymore about the slow language development of Java. Even C# is ways
> ahead of Java and does not have to carry problems from earlier premature
> decisions. The success of Scala, Groovy and JetBrains seeing a business
> case for Kotlin comes for a reason.
>
> -- Oliver

Both the JVM and the CLR are unable to fully express D in their bytecode.
The CLR could do most things but Ranges/Slicing where ridiculously slow.
The development never progressed much beyond that. Although, i've always
wondered if it would be possible on a newer version of the CLR...

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender