D for the JVM

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Feb 26 22:57:04 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 23:00 +0100, OlliP wrote:
> I'm quite serious here, no joking ... Make a version of D for the
> JVM and it'll be a big success for the language and a business
> case at the same time. So many Java developers are meanwhile
> really not amused anymore about the slow language development of
> Java. Even C# is ways ahead of Java and does not have to carry
> problems from earlier premature decisions. The success of Scala,
> Groovy and JetBrains seeing a business case for Kotlin comes for
> a reason.

We just went round this in great detail a few weeks ago, can I get you
to check back in the mail logs first. I am not going to rehearse all the
debate from back then and I hope I don't see a whole new thread covering
all the same ground. The summary is that D on the JVM is like C++ or C
on the JVM, a non-starter.

The implied criticism of Java against other languages has some merit but
that is a whole other debate, which we also had on this list a few weeks
ago so no repeat. Summary is that Kotlin exists because JetBrains didn't
want to use a dynamic language, Groovy, but this was before Groovy had
strong static compilation; and Java 8 is a game changer that threatens
Scala, and Kotlin.

You missed out Ceylon from your list, it is threatened by Java 8 as
well.

Groovy has a role in partnership with Java 8 so is not threatened in the
same sense. Exactly the opposite in reality due to is being a dynamic
language with a static capability.

'Nuff said?

--
Russel.